The major components of this course are as follows:
- Introduction to international negotiation: the meaning and objectives of negotiation, key concepts, main difficulties;
- Preparing for negotiations;
- The four approaches to negotiation;
- Fundamental tactics used during the different negotiation stages;
- Arriving at mutually acceptable agreements: principled negotiation vs. positional bargaining;
- The art of persuasion: effectively communicating in a world of diversity ;
- Managing perception to achieve a desired outcome
I introduce concepts of the impact of gender differences on the negotiation process. Specifically, I distinguish between the negotiation strategies and styles of men and women, which significantly differ especially in the terms of making the opening offer and negotiating from the level of power.
With my students we also discuss the verbal and non-verbal communication differences between male and female negotiators.
Furthermore, I provide advice on how to overcome gender bias and how to manage perceptions to achieve fair and equitable agreements between representatives of both sexes.