This course is intended to give some background into important religious and social concepts of the later medieval period, through the reading of the Book of Margery Kempe, coupled with some other primary and secondary literature. By following this class, which will have a different thematic approach every week, you will learn to close read text, but also gain contextual information about:
- affective piety and East Anglia
- imitation or admiration of female saints
- mystical experience
- were mystics crazy? Are they?
- Heresy, Lollardy, and female preaching
- Gendered spaces, public women and pilgrimages
- Gender(ed) troubles: women travelling
- confessors and the discernment of spirits
- Margery the Anchoress?