Stream proposal: Beyond the gender binary: Empirical research and conceptual developments in times of transformation
Gender, Work and Organization, 11th international interdisciplinary conference,
24th–26th June 2020
Transforming Contexts, Transforming Selves: Gender in New Times
- Ursula Offenberger, University of Tübingen, Germany, email@example.com
- Julia Nentwich, University of St. Gallen, Switzerland, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Almut Peukert, University of Hamburg, Germany, email@example.com
- Tiina Suopajärvi, University of Tampere, Finland, firstname.lastname@example.org
Our stream invites contributions that aspire to bring together theoretical, methodological and empirical reflections of researching doings and undoings of gender as well as other doings of differences. The following questions may be relevant, but are of course not exhaustive:
- How can we conceptualize and empirically investigate different possible ranges of undoing and not doing gender? We suggest that understandings of not doing and undoing gender need to be specified with regard to different levels of analysis, such as materialities, discourses, institutions and interactions. Even if only separable analytically, empirical investigations should differentiate in order to determine and empirically depict possible ranges of undoing and not doing gender.
- How can we empirically capture the complexity of differentiation processes (by gender, age, class, race, ability, citizenship, etc.) and conceptualize them? Moreover, how can “(un)doing differences” be conceptualized and taken up empirically?
- How should we conceive the relation between theory and methods? As our above considerations show, theory and methods always constitute each other and can best be thought of as theory-methods packages, which „produce“ or generate their very subjects. Which “packages” can tackle the complexities of persistence and change relevant for understanding recent transformations?
- What kind of methods and methodologies have been developed for the analysis of (un)doing? Where can we identify needs for future developments, and how can we address these needs?
- How and in what ways are questions of undoing and not doing gender related to questions of structure and agency? What are conceptual expansions that are promising and fruitful?
- What are the affective practices and different intensities of (un)doing gender? How useful is the recent turn to affect for studying doing gender and differences?
Abstracts of approximately 500 words (submitted direct to stream leaders, ONE page, WORD NOT PDF, single spaced, excluding any references, no headers, footers or track changes) are invited by Friday 1st November 2019.
The full call for abstracts can be downloaded below.
13. August 2019
01. November 2019
Stimmt hier etwas nicht? Sagen Sie es uns!
Haben Sie einen Fehler gefunden, stimmt der obige Text faktisch nicht oder möchten Sie uns sonst etwas mitteilen? Gerne nehmen wir Ihre Rückmeldung auf und bemühen uns, allfällige Fehler und Unstimmigkeiten so schnell wie möglich zu beheben.